Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Greatest Man I Ever Knew


The greatest man I ever knew had grey hair and big cheeks that held his cheshire grin.
And at the age of 5, he was the first person I thought of when I was asked what home smelt like. 
I remember him always watching the birds, 
his binoculars held up to his eyes, his bird book on his knee.
He would tell me about all the different kinds as I looked I up at him with wonder. 
I remember him teaching me to make the dove sound, 
and as the years have passed, even that memory has faded.
But I can still hear the sound of his voice,
especially when I remember him reading to me as I sat on his lap. 

Each and every time I watch the sun dip behind the mountains, 
I think of you
how we used to take walks around the neighborhood,
when we used to make Christmas cookies every year,
and how you were the first man I ever looked up too. 

I'll never be able to thank you for all the memories
or the amount of love you gave me.
But I know that you know,
Especially on days where a dove flies past my window. 



I love you endlessly Papa. Thank you for showing me what a man truly is. Thinking of you always. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life is Beautiful 2016

Oh god, no statement is more real, more raw, more true. Life is truly so beautiful.  Whether it's at home cooking dinner with a gla...